A must-attend online event for IT, Digital & C-level personnel
Live presentations, networking and exhibition - all hosted live on a virtual platform
Free to attend*
Wednesday 23rd June 2021 | 08:00am - 16:30pm BST
2020 witnessed an accelerated shift to Cloud-based services, driven by lockdown restrictions and a rapid requirement to support large-scale remote working capabilities. During the first Quarter alone, Cloud spending is estimated to have risen 37% to $29 billion.
For many organisations this shift is part of a wider infrastructure transformation, moving from physical, on-premise IT to a service-based model which supports greater agility, elasticity and predictability.
Cloud has driven a myriad of business benefits, but it also comes with a new set of challenges and contractual distinctions, as well as fresh security and re-skilling requirements. And IT leaders must navigate an increasing variety of options; balancing the benefits of public, private and hybrid systems, while factoring culpability for accessibility, affordability and security.
The Cloud First Summit will contextualise this shift within the technology landscape, looking at the trends, advancements, use-cases and the business impact of Cloud computing.
DIGIT has rapidly grown into the largest independent business technology community in Scotland. We run an extensive series of virtual conferences and online events focused on core areas of emerging Technology, Digital and IT. We also run Scotland's leading IT & Digital News Platform www.digit.fyi with over 100,000 page views per month.
The virtual events provide a unique platform for knowledge exchange, drawing stakeholders together to explore best practice, technological innovation and business outcomes. Our conferences attract a senior delegate following and have become renowned as an important forum for high-level networking.
We are delighted to announce that DIGIT will be running our conference programme in a virtual environment 6Connex. Not only will you be able to enjoy our full events line-up, but you’ll be able to log-in remotely and join us from anywhere in the world.
Director of Digital, NHS NES
Head of Strategic Growth, Cloudsoft
CIO, SSEN Transmission
Senior Cloud Advocate, Microsoft
Chief Cloud Officer, Acuutech
Cloud Security Architect, OneWeb
Chief Product Officer, Acuutech
Cloud Enterprise Lead, Centrica
Security Engineering Manager, Check Point
Partner, Davidson Chalmers Stewart
Principal Consultant, ITAM Intelligence
Regional VP EMEA & APJ, Nasuni
Journalist & Broadcaster, BBC Scotland
2021 Conference Agenda
08:00 Login Opens
Session 1. Controlling the Cloud
The opening session will contextualise the shift to Cloud services and examine the primary considerations and challenges that organisations are facing in 2021. Speakers will look at controlling Cloud-sprawl, improving visibility, managing costs, and discuss how you can balance the competing factors of your cloud initiative to ensure it delivers on key business outcomes.
09:15 Welcome and Introduction
Mark Stephen, Journalist & Broadcaster, BBC Scotland
09:20 Cloud-Sprawl - Don't Let it Get You Down
• IT teams rose to the challenges of 2020 magnificently
• But now the reality of hastily cobbled together virtual services is starting to bite
• If you didn’t have cloud sprawl before, then you certainly do now!
• The need to regain control - a practical check-list sort the gold from the dross
• What to do about the mess?
Kylie Fowler, Principal Consultant, ITAM Intelligence
09:40 How to Have it All: Innovation, Industrialisation and Control in the Cloud
• The competing dynamics pulling at your Cloud initiative and how to interpret them
• The human angle
• How to convert this conflict into tension: what to centralise, what to decentralise and how to go about it
• The role of Enterprise DevOps, platform teams and SRE
• The role of communities of practice
Chris Patten, Enterprise Lead on Cloud & DevOps Transformation, Centrica
10:00 Take it from the top Maestro
• Why the shift to Cloud Services involves more than just access to cloud services
• Why an Application down approach helps align cloud initiatives to business outcomes
• How toxic technical optimism can help you appreciate the challenge for your teams and avoid conflict
• How Digital Platform Conductor help organise and orchestrate complex cloud environments
Vicky Glynn, Head of Strategic Growth, Cloudsoft
10:20 Combined Q&A
Session 2. Breakouts: Industry Insights
Session 2 will hone-in on a variety of key topics in longer, individual slots. Presentations will be run in 30-minute increments across three parallel streams, providing delegates the opportunity to attend three of the options live. The alternative breakouts will be accessible on-demand post event.
11:00 Breakout Option. Choose one option from A, B or C to attend.
Stream 1: A - Cloud Analytics for Healthcare
• The shift to P4: Predictive, Personalised, Preventive, Participatory Medicine
• Understanding the problem with online
• Our data landscape compared to e-commerce
• Some considerations for a modern cloud data platform
• Cloud analytics: observations and lessons learned
Jonathan Forbes, CTO, Phlo
Stream 2: B - Three factors that will keep your cloud programme on course
• Avoid “Bill Shock” through strong cloud financial management and regular optimisation
• Strike the right balance between enabling innovation and protecting data through key controls and guardrails from the outset
• Source early expert help and establish a talent management plan to source, reskill and retain key cloud skills
Jon Gasparini, CTO, Brightsolid
Stream 3: C - What is Hybrid Cloud and Why?
• Let’s explain what Hybrid Cloud is
• Benefits of using Hybrid Cloud
• Tips on how to manage a Hybrid environment
Sarah Lean, Senior Cloud Advocate, Microsoft
11:30 Breakout Option. Choose one option from D, E or F to attend.
Stream 1: D - Key Legal & Data Protection Issues Associated with Cloud-Based Services
• Legal position and implications for cloud service providers under data protection law: controller v’s processor
• Security: what the law says and what that means in practice
• The conundrum of international data transfers post-Brexit and the impact on cloud services
Laura Irvine, Partner & Head of Regulatory Law, Davidson Chalmers Stewart
Stream 2: E - Hybrid Cloud will Save you from the 5 MOST Stupid Things About Enterprise File Storage
• The truth about legacy file storage infrastructure limitation
• How the cloud is more resilient, scalable, and less expensive
• Why it is smart to move all file infrastructure to the cloud
• The cost and complexity of the digital sprawl of traditional file storage
Andy Hardy, VP EMEA & APAC, Nasuni
Stream 3: F - What is a Cloud First Strategy with Hybrid Cloud
• What is a Cloud First Strategy considering cloud is not a location?
• What is the Market Opportunity for On-premises and Hybrid Cloud?
• Cloud is a Mindset but what does that really mean to me?
• The new Commercial Normal applies to On-premises and Hybrid Cloud
• Customer Example that demonstrates all of the above
Terry Storey - Chief Cloud Officer, Acuutech
Philip Moss - Chief Product Officer, Acuutech
12:00 Breakout: Choose option G live – the other breakouts will be available on-demand post-event
Stream 1: G - Compliance in the Age of Convenience
• Current Threat Landscape
• Building regulatory Compliance for the cloud and on-premise deployments
• Threat Hunting Best Practices
Mark Mitchell, Security Engineering Manager, Check Point
12:30 Lunch Break
Session 3. Cloud & Organisational Transformation
For many organisations the shift to a Cloud-first strategy is a part of a wider organisational transformation, moving to a more agile, scalable and business-focussed model of IT. The final session will consider the role of Cloud in supporting change and delivering business improvement, with insight from 3 organisations at different stages in their transformation journeys, reflecting on their strategy, objectives, challenges and learnings.
13:30 The Road into Cloud
• Reasons for building a Cloud First team
• Key objectives that need to be factored into roadmap planning
• Skillsets: what skills am I prioritising and recruiting for and why
• How do the management decisions and challenges differ for a Cloud based setup
• How will we measure and evaluate progress
James McLean, CIO, SSEN Transmission
13:50 NHS Scotland's C-19 Cloud Based Response
• Impact of the Scottish Government Response on the use of Public Cloud in the health and care sector
• Challenges that remain in the successful delivery of services through Cloud
• What could the "new normal" look like?
Christopher Wroath, Director of Digital, NHS NES
14:10 DevSecOps Transformation: Lessons Learnt
• Tooling consolidation and protecting existing investments
• The importance of business requirements
• Team structure and skillset
• Cultural change
Dr Wendy Ng, Cloud Security Architect Lead, OneWeb
14:30 Combined Q&A
14:55 Closing Remarks
15:00 Close of Session